Periodontal disease, commonly known as gum disease, is caused by bacteria in plaque. If not consistently removed, this bacteria builds up, infecting your teeth, gums, lower gum tissue and eventually the bone that supports your teeth - a common cause of tooth loss. This disease has three stages of progression: gingivitis, periodontitis, and advanced periodontitis; the longer the disease has to advance, the more damage it causes. Fear not, Milton Family Dental Care is here to help. Our team can discover periodontal disease early and begin treatment before complicated issues arise.
Common Signs of Gum Disease
- Red, tender, and swollen gums that bleed during brushing or flossing
- Constant bad breath or bad taste in your mouth
- Gum line receding , or gums are pulling away from teeth and forming pockets
- Changes in your bite or teeth alignment, loose teeth
- Gum Disease Treatment Process
We provide a comprehensive cleaning to remove built up plaque and tartar.
For more advanced conditions, scaling and deep root planning are treatment options we provide. These procedures also involve inclusive cleaning, but deeper into areas above and below the gum line. A local anesthetic is administered in conjunction as well.
We also utilize an FDA-approved antibiotic called Arestin. Once applied, antibiotics are released into your gums for up to 21 days.
How Can I Prevent Gum Disease Before it Starts?
- Simple, everyday steps can also be taken to avoid gum disease growth, including:
- Brushing and flossing consistently at least twice day
- Using an antimicrobial mouth rinse daily to help control plaque
- Scheduling regular checkups
If you are experiencing the symptoms of gum disease, it’s essential that you begin treatment. Besides tooth loss, studies have linked untreated periodontal disease to the development of severe health issues such as heart disease, strokes, diabetes and pre-term low birth-weight babies. If you think you may have gum disease, please contact our team to schedule an appointment right away.